ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday demanded immediate access to the site of an alleged chemical attack in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta where they said at least 500 people were treated for “symptoms consistent with exposure to toxic chemicals.”
Peter Salama, the organization’s deputy director-general for emergency preparedness and response, said the international community should “be outraged at these horrific reports and images from Douma.”
“WHO demands immediate, unhindered access to the area to provide care to those affected, to assess the health impacts, and to deliver a comprehensive public health response,” he added.
“In particular, there were signs of severe irritation of mucous membranes, respiratory failure, and disruption to central nervous systems of those exposed,” the United Nations health agency said in a statement issued in Geneva.
UN aid agencies have limited access to most areas in Eastern Ghouta where rebel forces are leaving after agreeing on a deal with the Syrian government, Reuters reported.
Amid all the chaos, over 133,000 people are believed to have escaped the war-torn region over the last month, according to UN figures.
The poison gas attack, blamed on the Syrian regime—who Russia backs in the ongoing civil war in the country—sparked an aggressive response from the United States, the United Kingdom, and France who are all opposed to President Bashar al-Assad and Moscow’s support for him.
Earlier today, US President Donald Trump warned he would fire missiles at the Syrian base where the chemical weapons were launched while Russia said they would intercept any such attack.