ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan24) – Two journalists covering the war against the Islamic State (IS) in Mosul were killed by the group on Friday, the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) said.
In an official statement, the IFJ expressed their sadness after the reporters were killed while covering the conflict in the city.
Reporter Harb Hazza al-Dulaimi and cameraman Sudod el Takriti al-Duri, working for Hano Salaheddin television, were killed as they accompanied Iraqi forces on a counter-attack mission in southern Mosul.
According to reports, the village of Imam Gharbi, 70 kilometers south of Mosul, was infiltrated by IS militants on July 5.
“A number of civilians and military were killed or wounded in the attack,” the IFJ stated. “Two more journalists were captured and were later released.”
IFJ president Phillipe Leruth condemned the violence and sent his condolences to the families of the fallen journalists.
“We are very saddened by these additional losses which bring the total number of journalists killed in Iraq to six this year,” he said.
“We urge our colleagues on the ground and their employees to take all necessary steps to avoid taking unnecessary risks in covering the war in Iraq,” Leruth added.
An affiliate group, the Iraqi Journalist Syndicate (IJS), also released a statement denouncing the violence against innocent civilians.
IJS president Moaid al-Lami called on the Iraqi government “to support the protection of journalists covering the war.”
Earlier this month, Kurdish journalist Bakhtiyar Addad and French journalists Stephan Villeneuve and Veronique Robert were all killed after being hit by a landmine blast in Mosul.
Editing by G. H. Renaud