ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich on Monday said Moscow had taken all the necessary security measures to protect fans and players during and after the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
“Security of people is our top priority. All our security forces are working in close preparation with [FIFA’s] organizing committee,” the Russian Deputy Prime Minister told Kurdistan 24 in Moscow.
A recent bombing on the metro in Saint Petersburg which left at least 15 people dead in April has heightened security measures ahead of the prestigious tournament.
Russia’s involvement in Syria has also made the nation a target of the Islamic State (IS) who has threatened to carry out attacks on fans and players at the tournament.
“We know how to do those things. We had experience with Olympic games in Sochi, and other big international events,” Dvorkovich noted, adding all the security personnel “have been trained” to protect people before, during, and after the World Cup.
The 2018 FIFA World Cup will take place between June 14 and July 15 with 32 teams from five different confederations competing.
As the host nation, Russia received automatic qualification to this summer’s tournament.
A bidding nation requires a majority of 12 votes to host the tournament. Russia notably beat the likes of Portugal, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, and England in the bidding process to host the 2018 tournament, winning 13 votes.
Russia will play the first match of the tournament against Saudi Arabia on June 14 at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.
Dvorkovich revealed that the construction of all the venues had been completed, and all the stadiums are “functionally” ready to host the World Cup matches.
He also said they have taken into account comments from spectators as well as the FIFA organizing committee and will make all adjustments before the end of May.
“The preparation plan is very clear,” Dvorkovich said. “All minor details should be done, completed by the end of May and all stadiums should be transferred to the organizing committee by the first of June.”
“That’s going to be done on time, without any delays.”
(Kurdistan 24’s Khoshawi Mohammed conducted the interview in Moscow)