MOSUL, Iraq (Kurdistan24) – The United Nations on Friday released a statement expressing its concern about an attack on civilians in a heavily-populated neighborhood in western Mosul.
A US-led military coalition air raid reportedly hit three homes in the al-Jadida suburb of Mosul killing scores of civilians.
The US-led coalition said it would investigate whether the recent incident was a result of an air raid or a bomb planted by the Islamic State (IS).
As Iraqi forces continue their push to defeat IS in western Mosul, civilians’ lives are under constant threat.
In an official statement, the UN said it was “profoundly concerned” with the violence that claimed at least 200 lives.
The Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq Lise Grande also expressed her distress at the number of casualties.
“We are stunned by this terrible loss of life and wish to express our deepest condolences to the many families who have reportedly been impacted by this tragedy,” she said.
“Nothing in this conflict is more important than protecting civilians,” Grande continued. “All parties are obliged to do everything possible to protect civilians.”
Peshmerga and Iraqi security forces launched an offensive to liberate Mosul from IS in October 2016.
Since then, the forces have successfully freed the eastern part of the city while fighting in the west is ongoing.
Iraqi forces previously complained the advance on the western side of Mosul would be difficult because of the densely-populated neighborhoods.
The UN warned that nearly 600,000 people remained “trapped” in areas of western Mosul.
“We fear for the families who are caught in the conflict,” Grande concluded. “Everything must be done to avoid civilian casualties.”
Editing by Ava Homa