ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced on Wednesday that Tehran would partially withdraw from the nuclear deal as escalations with the United States continue.
In a televised speech, Rouhani said Iran would “reduce its commitments” to the controversial nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), but not completely withdraw from it.
The deal was concluded in 2015 between Iran, on the one hand, and the US, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, China, and Russia, on the other.
Wednesday also marks the first anniversary of the Trump administration’s withdrawal from the Iranian nuclear deal.
The US has placed ever-increasing economic and political pressure on Iran since then. Oil sanctions, imposed last November, have caused Iranian oil exports to drop by over 1.5 million barrels per day, according to State Department figures, and have cost the regime some $10 billion in oil revenue.
Last week, Washington tightened those sanctions as it ended the previous waivers it had granted to eight countries, including Turkey, that are still importing Iranian oil.
Last month, the US designated Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps a terrorist organization.
In his Wednesday speech, Rouhani said Tehran would implement “drastic measures” unless those who remained committed to the JCPOA – the UK, France, Germany, Russia, and China – removed their restrictions on the country’s financial and oil sectors in the next two months.
France had warned Iran a day earlier that international sanctions could be re-imposed on the country if it takes steps in violation of the JCPOA.
Editing by John J. Catherine