Arab Coalition Spokesperson: Saudi Arabia to respond against Iran over Houthi missile attacks
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan 24) – The Saudi Arabia-led Coalition has blamed Iran for the Houthi missile attacks on Riyadh and other areas in the country, vowing to respond at an appropriate time and place.
In a press conference on Monday, Turki al-Maliki, the spokesperson of the Arab coalition, stated that Saudi Arabia forces intercepted seven Houthi missiles, including over the capital of Riyadh.
“Yemen has suffered from Iranian interference and its support for Houthi militias,” Maliki said, describing the possession of ballistic missiles by the Iranian-backed Houthi militants as a “serious development.”
The Arab coalition spokesperson added that the Houthi militants’ “aggressive and hostile actions” proves that Iran continues to support them militarily.
During the press conference, Maliki presented an alleged Iranian missile which he said had been seized by Saudi forces before it was smuggled to Houthi militants in Yemen. He noted that the rockets fired by the Houthi’s on Sunday night were Iranian-made “Qiyam” missiles.
Saudi Arabia “reserves the right to respond against Iran at the right time and right place,” Maliki warned, calling the recent developments a “dangerous escalation.”
The spokesperson called on the United Nations Security Council to hold Iran accountable for violating the international law.
Editing by Karzan Sulaivany