Korek CEO Says Baghdad Court Suspends CMC Decision Against Telecom Firm
BREAKING: Korek Telecom CEO Sirwan Barzani says Baghdad's Rusafa Court has issued a stay suspending a CMC decision against the company.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Korek Telecom CEO Sirwan Barzani said Sunday that a Baghdad court had issued a stay suspending a decision by Iraq's Communications and Media Commission (CMC) against the company, marking a new legal development in the long-running dispute between the Kurdish telecom operator and the federal regulator.
"As I previously stated, the unjust decision by the head of the Iraqi Communications and Media Commission was illegal," Sirwan Barzani said. "Today, this was proven true; a stay of execution (injunction) was issued by the Rusafa Court in Baghdad, suspending the decision previously made against Korek Telecom."
The statement did not provide further details on the scope or duration of the injunction, and the court order itself was not included in the material available to Kurdistan24. The CMC had not issued a response to Sirwan Barzani's latest statement in the supplied information.
The development comes after months of escalating legal and regulatory conflict between Korek and the CMC. In June, Korek accused the commission of unlawfully cancelling a settlement agreement and of deliberately obstructing the company's operations.
Korek said the settlement had been reached after recommendations from a judicial committee were approved and later incorporated into an agreement signed with the regulator in September 2025.
The company has argued that the CMC lacked the authority to cancel that agreement unilaterally and has repeatedly said it would pursue judicial and constitutional remedies to defend its rights, shareholders and subscribers.
The CMC, however, has maintained that Korek failed to meet contractual, legal and financial obligations.
Earlier this month, the regulator said it was continuing procedures to suspend Korek's network after the expiry of the company's contract and the cancellation of the settlement agreement.
It cited Iraqi legislation as the basis for its actions and instructed Korek customers not to renew subscriptions, recharge balances or make additional payments.
The regulator also said it had taken measures including seizure orders against Korek's movable and immovable assets and would proceed with shutting down components and systems forming the company's network.
Those measures triggered concern among Korek subscribers, some of whom told Kurdistan24 that a shutdown could affect mobile numbers linked to bank accounts, financial services, government institutions and private companies.
The CMC also instructed customers to retain their Korek SIM cards pending further guidance through its official channels.
Sirwan Barzani's announcement on Sunday indicates that the dispute has now entered another judicial phase.
Based on his statement, the Rusafa Court's stay suspends the previously issued decision against Korek, although the precise legal effect, duration and next procedural steps were not immediately detailed in the supplied information.
The CMC's response to the reported injunction, and whether the regulator will alter or pause its shutdown procedures, remained unclear at the time of publication.