Kadhimi: Attack on Kurdistan Threatens Iraq's Sovereignty

Former Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi urges Baghdad to investigate the Pirmam drone attack and protect Iraq from becoming a theater for regional confrontation.

Former Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi. (Photo: Iraqi Media)
Former Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi. (Photo: Iraqi Media)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Former Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi has condemned an early Monday drone attack targeting the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Kurdistan Region's Protection Agency in Pirmam, warning that the attack threatens Iraq's sovereignty and could pull the country deeper into regional conflict.

Kadhimi said the attack should be treated as a national security issue by Baghdad, particularly after the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said the drones were launched from across the Iranian border.

"We condemn in the strongest terms the attack carried out early this morning against the office of the Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region, Masrour Barzani, and the home of the Director of the Protection Agency," Kadhimi said in a statement.

He described the incident as "a very dangerous and complex escalation" that cannot be separated from wider regional developments.

The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones were launched at about 12:28 a.m. Monday and targeted the Prime Minister's private office and the Parastin director's residence in Pirmam, Erbil province. No casualties were reported.

Kadhimi said the attack was significant beyond the identities of the targets, arguing that an assault on official institutions in the Kurdistan Region from the territory of a neighboring country constitutes interference in Iraq's sovereignty and national security.

He warned that Iraq could be drawn into a conflict "that Iraqis have not chosen and in which they have no interest."

The former prime minister also linked the timing of the attack to the 80th anniversary of the Kurdistan Democratic Party's founding, saying Iraq and the wider region need greater space for dialogue and de-escalation rather than confrontation.

Kadhimi said the Kurdistan Region has established channels with different regional and international actors and could contribute to efforts aimed at reducing tensions, including between Tehran and Washington.

"That is a role that deserves support and strengthening, not targeting and disruption," he said.

Kadhimi called on the Iraqi federal government to regard the attack as a matter of national sovereignty and security and to identify those responsible and take measures to protect Iraqi territory and state institutions.

The remarks come amid heightened regional tensions and a series of drone incidents affecting the Kurdistan Region. Last week, the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said three explosive drones were intercepted over Erbil by Coalition forces.

Monday's attack is particularly significant because the reported targets included the private office of the Kurdistan Region's prime minister and the residence of a senior security official.

Kadhimi warned against allowing Iraq to become a venue for exchanging threats or settling regional scores, arguing that Baghdad should instead preserve its sovereign decision-making and maintain Iraq as a channel for dialogue.

"Iraq must serve as a bridge for dialogue and resolution rather than an extension of the battlefields of war and conflict," he said.