Iran Warns Gulf States Against Helping US as UAE Cuts Economic Ties
Iranian Armed Forces Chief of Staff Ali Abdollahi said that any assistance or facilitation provided to the US military would amount to participation in Washington’s military operations, according to Iran’s Mehr news agency.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) – Iran’s armed forces on Wednesday warned Gulf countries against providing assistance to the United States military, hours after the United Arab Emirates announced the suspension of economic ties with Tehran following renewed attacks on shipping in the Gulf.
Iranian Armed Forces Chief of Staff Ali Abdollahi said that any assistance or facilitation provided to the US military would amount to participation in Washington’s military operations, according to Iran’s Mehr news agency.
“Any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor US military amounts to participation in the US military operation,” Abdollahi said.
The warning comes amid heightened tensions around the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global trade corridor that Tehran has blockaded. Although direct hostilities between the United States and Iran have recently eased, attacks on commercial shipping have continued to threaten maritime traffic through the strategic waterway.
The Gulf region hosts several major US military installations, including in the UAE. Abu Dhabi said on Tuesday that Iran had fired two ballistic missiles toward the country, later clarifying that the missiles were directed at shipping.
Abdollahi also questioned Gulf states’ previous assurances that they would not allow their territories to be used as launchpads for US attacks on Iran.
“It seems unlikely that such a large number of military aircraft, particularly refueling aircraft, could be present at regional bases without knowledge of host countries,” he said, warning Gulf countries that Tehran was “fully aware of the situation.”
Media reports have alleged that Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain have carried out strikes against targets in Iran in retaliation for Iranian attacks on Gulf states. The countries have largely denied those reports.
The Iranian warning came hours after the UAE announced it was suspending all economic dealings with Iran.
Afra Al Hameli, communications director at the UAE Foreign Ministry, said on Tuesday that “all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice” due to the regional escalation.
The UAE had earlier accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles toward its territory before clarifying that the missiles were aimed at vessels off its coast.
The latest escalation follows the collapse of a framework US-Iran agreement intended to facilitate the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. Although Washington and Tehran had recently indicated that messages were still being exchanged, US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that talks were no longer taking place.
Trump also posted on social media that the Strait of Hormuz was a “NEW U.S. Territory,” further underscoring the sharp deterioration in relations.
The conflict began on February 28 with US and Israeli attacks on Iran. Tehran responded with missile and drone strikes against targets across the region, triggering a wider regional confrontation.
Since the outbreak of the conflict, several Middle Eastern countries have said they would not permit the United States to use their territory to launch attacks against Iran, while Gulf states have simultaneously faced growing pressure to prevent their territory and military facilities from becoming directly involved in the conflict.
The continuing confrontation around the Strait of Hormuz has raised concerns over the security of commercial shipping and the potential for further regional escalation.