12 Nations Condemn Israeli Strike on Syria Air Base
Twelve Arab and Muslim nations condemned Israel's airstrike on Syria's Abu Zuhour air base, calling it a dangerous violation of Syrian sovereignty.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Foreign ministers from 12 Arab and Muslim countries issued a joint statement strongly condemning Israeli airstrikes on the Abu Zuhour military airport in northwestern Syria, describing the attack as a dangerous escalation and a clear violation of Syrian sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The statement, issued Friday, was signed by Türkiye, Algeria, Indonesia, Jordan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mauritania, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Somalia.
The ministers said continued targeting and destruction of Syria's infrastructure undermines efforts to restore security and rebuild national institutions. "The continued targeting and destruction of Syria's infrastructure undermines the efforts under way to restore security and rebuild national institutions," the statement read.
The signatories warned that such actions threaten regional stability and weaken respect for international law and the United Nations Charter. They called on the international community to adopt a clear, principled stance and take concrete steps to end the attacks, while ensuring commitment to the 1974 disengagement agreement between Syria and Israel.
The Israeli airstrike on Abu Zuhour air base was carried out early Tuesday, Aug. 18, targeting the airport's runway. The facility had been out of service for more than a decade but holds strategic significance due to its location roughly 70 kilometers from the Turkish border, at the junction of Idlib, Hama and Aleppo provinces.
Israel has defended the strike, accusing Damascus of allowing Turkish forces to establish a presence at the air base, which Israel considers a threat to its security. Türkiye has firmly denied the accusation.
At least eight bombs struck runways and several aircraft hangars at the base, damaging recently renovated infrastructure, though no casualties were reported.
The strike has heightened tensions between Israel and Türkiye. US envoy Tom Barrack said the two countries came within one step of direct military confrontation following the attack, calling it a warning of a potential direct war between Tel Aviv and Ankara. According to Axios, Israel informed White House officials before the strike, telling Washington its objective was to prevent Türkiye from building up military forces and sending advanced weapons systems into Syria.
A Turkish official rejected claims that Turkish forces were stationed at the base and accused Israel of creating pretexts to strike neighboring countries. The Turkish presidency said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's claims were intended to justify what it called illegal airstrikes, while Ankara reaffirmed its commitment to cooperating with the Syrian government on security and stability.
Some US officials told Reuters they believed the strike's timing was linked to Israel's October elections, and the Trump administration has urged Syrian authorities to exercise restraint.
Separately, Türkiye issued an arrest warrant on Friday for Netanyahu and another Israeli national over alleged obstruction of humanitarian aid to Gaza, with Ankara seeking to pursue the warrant internationally. Turkish Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said the warrant related to the interception of aid vessels bound for Gaza in April.
With foreign ministers demanding international action and Ankara pursuing new legal measures against Netanyahu, the standoff over Abu Zuhour has added fresh strain to an already fragile Israel-Türkiye relationship, with regional stability hanging in the balance.