IKMAA Clears 14 Million Square Meters of Land During KRG’s Ninth Cabinet
In an exclusive statement to Kurdistan24, Mustafa said more than 180,000 mines and various types of explosive ordnance had been removed and disposed of during the period.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) – Jabar Mustafa, head of the Iraqi Kurdistan Mine Action Agency (IKMAA), said on Wednesday that mine clearance teams have cleared 14 million square meters of land across the Kurdistan Region during the Kurdistan Regional Government’s (KRG) Ninth Cabinet’s term, covering 316 minefields.
In an exclusive statement to Kurdistan24, Mustafa said more than 180,000 mines and various types of explosive ordnance had been removed and disposed of during the period.
“Our teams have intensified their work in populated and tourist areas to prevent unwanted incidents and protect the lives of citizens,” Mustafa said.
He explained that 35 specialized mine-clearance teams are currently operating across five directorates: nine in Erbil, 15 in Sulaimani, 5.5 in Duhok, three in Garmiyan, and two in Halabja. The teams are supported by specialized units responsible for detonating and destroying mines.
Mustafa also highlighted the negative impact of minefields on tourism, agriculture, and livestock. He said mines planted in border areas during the Iran-Iraq War continue to pose a serious threat to farmers, livestock breeders, and tourists.
Official figures show a significant decline in mine-related incidents compared with previous years. So far in 2026, eight incidents have been recorded, leaving two people dead and six others injured.
Since 1992, landmines and explosive remnants of war have killed or injured 13,600 people across the Kurdistan Region, most of them farmers, livestock breeders, and people who enter mountainous areas to collect wild herbs.
Despite ongoing clearance efforts, large areas of contaminated land remain a threat to communities and continue to hinder agricultural activities, livestock breeding, and tourism development across the region.