Canada Condemns Drone Attack Targeting Kurdistan Region Prime Minister’s Office

Ottawa warns attacks threaten civilian lives and regional stability

Foreign Affairs Building of Canada. (Canadian Gov.)
Foreign Affairs Building of Canada. (Canadian Gov.)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) — Canada has strongly condemned the drone attack that targeted the office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Kurdistan Security Agency in Erbil province on Monday, warning that such acts pose a direct threat to civilian lives and regional stability.

Canada’s Foreign Ministry told Kurdistan24 that such violent acts create a direct danger to the lives of civilians and undermine security and stability in Iraq and the wider region.

Ottawa also welcomed a decision by Iraqi Prime Minister Ali Falih Al-Zaidi to launch an investigation into the attack to determine its source and identify those responsible.

On Monday, the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said that two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones were launched from the direction of the Iranian border at 12:28 a.m., targeting the office of the Kurdistan Region Prime Minister and the residence of the director of the Kurdistan Security Agency in Pirmam district, Erbil province.

The Counter-Terrorism Directorate said there were no casualties in the attack.

It strongly condemned the strikes, describing them as unacceptable acts of aggression and stressing that the perpetrators would bear full responsibility for their consequences.

Following the statement, Prime Minister Barzani said on X that, according to verified information and investigations by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate, his office and the residence of the director of the Kurdistan Security Agency had been targeted in an Iranian drone attack.

“I strongly condemn and denounce these unlawful and unacceptable attacks,” Barzani said.

He described the attack as “a dangerous step and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region.”

Barzani also vowed that the attack would not deter the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) from carrying out its responsibilities and protecting the region’s population.

“These attacks will never stop us from continuing to fulfill our duties and protect our citizens,” the prime minister said.