Iran Says US Economic Pressure Campaign Will Fail Again

Abbas Araghchi says Washington’s latest economic campaign against Tehran will meet the same fate as previous US pressure efforts.

ranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran, Iran, Monday, Dec. 30, 2024. (AP)
ranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran, Iran, Monday, Dec. 30, 2024. (AP)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has sharply rejected threats from US President Donald Trump and his administration over a new economic campaign against Iran, arguing that Washington’s latest effort is destined to fail just as previous US pressure campaigns have done.

On Friday, Araghchi responded on his official X account to the announcement of the new US economic operation, recalling what he described as a history of failed American efforts against Tehran.

Araghchi presented the previous US pressure campaigns in chronological order, writing:

“14 years ago: ‘the toughest crippling sanctions in history’; failed.

Eight years ago: ‘maximum pressure’; failed.

Five months ago: ‘unconditional surrender’; failed.

Today: ‘the toughest economic operation in history’; its fate will certainly be failure.”

He concluded his message by saying: “We have seen this film before; the same empty words, but repeated by a different bully.”

Araghchi’s remarks came after Trump announced what he described as a new economic offensive against Iran.

Trump said in a post on the social media platform Truth Social that he had previously given Tehran a “golden opportunity” to reach an agreement but that Iran had failed to seize it.

He said he was announcing what he described as the toughest economic operation ever carried out against a country, calling it an economic war and an unprecedented effort to isolate Iran.

Trump also pointed to what he described as Iran’s current condition, saying its naval power was gone, its air force had been destroyed, its military factories had been reduced to rubble and its currency had lost its value.

He warned countries around the world that those allowing their financial institutions, commercial entities, airports or official institutions to provide assistance to Tehran would face what he described as devastating economic sanctions.

Trump called for an immediate halt to oil smuggling, currency-exchange networks, cash transfers, currency exchange offices, ship registries and the operations of front companies.

He described the move as an “Economic D-Day” and reiterated that Iran must never become the possessor of nuclear weapons.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent also said in remarks to CNBC that he would announce all the new measures at a press conference on Monday.

Bessent said the economic pressure campaign against Tehran was entirely serious and involved no retreat, stating that Iran would collapse and that the United States would bring about its downfall.

He described the campaign as potentially the largest economic isolation effort in history and said the time had come for allies and the wider world to stop doing business with Iran.