Kurdistan Justice Group Condemns Attacks on Region's Institutions
The Kurdistan Justice Group calls for Kurdish neutrality as authorities say two explosive drones targeted the Kurdistan prime minister's office and a senior security official's residence.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - The Kurdistan Justice Group (Komal) on Monday condemned overnight drone attacks targeting institutions in the Kurdistan Region, calling for the Region to be protected from the wider conflicts and tensions affecting the Middle East.
In a statement, the party's spokesperson said Komal "condemn[s] the attacks on the institutions of the Kurdistan Region," while reiterating its call for Kurdish neutrality and a balanced policy amid the region's ongoing wars and confrontations.
The statement followed an attack reported early Monday in Erbil province, where two explosive-laden drones targeted the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Parastin Agency.
According to the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate, the drones were launched at 12:28 a.m. from across the Iranian border and were identified as Hadid-110-type explosive drones.
No casualties were reported.
The Counter-Terrorism Directorate strongly condemned the attack, saying the strikes were "completely unacceptable" and that those responsible would bear full responsibility for their consequences.
The targeting of the prime minister's private office and the residence of a senior security official marks a significant escalation in a series of drone incidents affecting the Kurdistan Region amid broader regional tensions.
Prime Minister Barzani said earlier Monday that an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate had determined that his personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted in what he described as Iranian drone attacks.
"I condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms," Prime Minister Barzani said in a message posted on X, describing the incident as “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."
He added that the attacks would not deter the Kurdistan Regional Government from carrying out its duties and protecting citizens.
Komal's statement focused on the broader political implications of the attacks, warning against allowing the Kurdistan Region to become entangled in regional conflicts.
The party called for Kurdish neutrality and balance, a position it has repeatedly presented as necessary to protect the Region's security and political interests while neighboring states and regional powers remain involved in escalating confrontations.
The latest incident also comes days after the Counter-Terrorism Directorate reported that three explosive drones had been intercepted over Erbil early Friday morning. That attack caused no casualties, according to authorities.
The repeated incidents have intensified concerns over the Kurdistan Region's vulnerability to drone attacks and renewed calls for stronger air-defense and counter-drone capabilities to protect government institutions, security personnel and critical infrastructure.
Monday's attack is now under investigation, while authorities have not publicly provided further details on the extent of damage to the targeted properties.