KRG Minister Condemns Attack on Kurdistan Prime Minister's Office

Kurdistan Region's Governemnt (KRG) Minister for Component Affairs Aydin Marouf denounces the attack on Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's private office and the Parastin chief's residence, as Kurdistan authorities identify two explosive drones launched from Iran.

Kurdistan Region's Governemnt (KRG) Minister for Component Affairs Aydin Marouf. (Photo: Kurdistan24)
Kurdistan Region's Governemnt (KRG) Minister for Component Affairs Aydin Marouf. (Photo: Kurdistan24)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Kurdistan Region's Governemnt (KRG) Minister for Component Affairs Aydin Marouf on Monday condemned an attack targeting the private office of Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Protection (Parastin) Agency, describing the incident as an attempt to undermine the Region's security and stability.

Marouf said in a statement that he "strongly condemns the cowardly attack" against the two locations and rejected efforts aimed at disrupting peace, coexistence and regional stability.

He stressed that the Kurdistan Region has consistently sought to be "part of the solution" to regional crises and would not accept attempts to undermine that role or destabilize the Region.

Prime Minister Barzani separately confirmed the reported origin of the attack, saying an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate had established that his private office and the residence of the Parastin Agency director were targeted in what he described as an Iranian drone attack.

"I condemn and denounce these unjustified and unacceptable attacks in the strongest possible terms," Barzani said in a post on X, describing the incident as "a dangerous step and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."

He added that the attacks would not deter the Kurdistan Regional Government from carrying out its responsibilities and protecting citizens.

The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said two Hadid-110 explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border at approximately 12:28 a.m. Monday and targeted the Prime Minister's private office and the Parastin chief's residence in Pirmam, in Erbil province.

No casualties were reported, according to the directorate.

The security agency condemned the attack and said those responsible would bear full responsibility for its consequences.

The incident comes amid a series of drone-related security incidents affecting Erbil and the wider Kurdistan Region as regional tensions remain high. Earlier this month, authorities reported that Coalition forces had intercepted explosive drones over Erbil, while Kurdish officials have repeatedly called for stronger measures to protect the Region's population and strategic infrastructure.

Monday's attack is particularly sensitive because the reported targets included the private office of the Kurdistan Region's prime minister and the residence of a senior security official.

Marouf's condemnation adds to growing calls from Kurdish political and government officials for an end to attacks that they say threaten the Region's stability and its efforts to maintain constructive relations with neighboring states while protecting its territory.

The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said investigations into the latest incident are continuing.