Kurdistan Judicial Chief Condemns Drone Attack on Prime Minister's Office
Abdul Jabbar Aziz Hassan condemns the attack on Masrour Barzani's office and the Parastin chief's residence, urging Baghdad to prevent further strikes.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - The President of the Kurdistan Region Judicial Council, Abdul Jabbar Aziz Hassan, has condemned the drone attack targeting the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the Director of the Protection Agency, calling it a blatant violation of the Region's sovereignty, security and stability.
In a statement issued Monday, Hassan urged Iraq's federal government and relevant authorities to adopt a firm position and take concrete measures to prevent similar attacks from occurring again.
"I strongly condemn the attacks on the office of Prime Minister Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region, and the residence of the Director of the Protection Agency," Hassan said.
He described the strikes as "a blatant violation of sovereignty, the security of citizens, and the stability of the Kurdistan Region within the framework of a federal Iraq."
Hassan added that such attacks "serve no party and run counter to peace and stability in the region," stressing that the Kurdistan Region remains an important component of maintaining security and stability in Iraq and the wider region.
The statement followed an early-morning drone attack in Erbil's Pirmam district.
According to the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate, two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones were launched from across the Iranian border at about 12:28 a.m. Monday and targeted the private office of the Kurdistan Region prime minister and the residence of the Director of the Parastin Agency.
No casualties were reported.
The Counter-Terrorism Directorate strongly condemned the attack, calling it "entirely unacceptable" and saying those responsible would bear full responsibility for the consequences.
Prime Minister Barzani said earlier Monday that an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate determined that his personal office and the home of the head of the Region's Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted by Iranian drone attacks.
Prime Minister Barzani described the incident as a "dangerous escalation" and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region.
"These attacks will not deter us from carrying out our duties and protecting our citizens," he said in a statement posted on X.
The attack comes amid heightened regional tensions and a series of drone incidents involving Erbil in recent days. On Friday, the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said Coalition forces had intercepted three explosive drones over Erbil's airspace, with no casualties reported.
Monday's attack is particularly significant because the reported targets included the office of the Kurdistan Region's prime minister and the residence of a senior security official.
Hassan's call for federal action adds to growing pressure on Baghdad to ensure that Iraqi territory cannot be used to threaten the Kurdistan Region or undermine security within the country.
The Judicial Council chief emphasized that preserving the Region's security is inseparable from Iraq's broader stability under the federal system, making accountability and prevention of further attacks a responsibility shared by both regional and federal authorities.