Jordan Backs Kurdistan Region After Drone Attack on Prime Minister's Office

Amman expresses full solidarity with Iraq and the Kurdistan Region after two explosive drones targeted the Kurdistan Prime Minister's office and a senior security official's residence in Erbil.

A Jordanian flag flies over the capital city, Amman, Jordan August 17, 2025. (Reuters)
A Jordanian flag flies over the capital city, Amman, Jordan August 17, 2025. (Reuters)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Jordan on Tuesday condemned the drone attack targeting the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the Region's Security and Intelligence Agency director, describing the incident as an unacceptable assault on Iraq's sovereignty and security.

In a statement issued by its Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates, Jordan said the attack violated "the sovereignty, security, and stability" of Iraq and reaffirmed its support for Baghdad and the Kurdistan Region.

The Hashemite Kingdom also expressed its "full solidarity" with Iraq and the Kurdistan Region, stressing its continued support for Iraq's security, stability and territorial integrity.

The statement came a day after two explosive drones targeted the properties of senior Kurdistan Region officials in Pirmam, an area in Erbil province.

According to the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate, the drones were launched at about 12:28 a.m. on Monday, August 17, from across the Iranian border. The agency identified them as Hadid-110-type explosive drones.

No casualties were reported.

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said an investigation had determined that his private office and the residence of the head of the Kurdistan Region's security and intelligence agency had been targeted.

"I condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms," Prime Minister Barzani said in a message posted on X, describing the incident as "a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."

He added that the attacks would not deter the Kurdistan Regional Government from carrying out its duties or protecting citizens.

The Counter-Terrorism Directorate likewise condemned the attack, saying the strikes were "entirely unacceptable" and warning that those responsible would bear full responsibility for the consequences.

The reported launch point across the Iranian border adds regional significance to the incident, particularly as the Kurdistan Region has faced a series of drone attacks amid wider tensions in the Middle East.

Earlier this month, authorities reported that three explosive drones had been intercepted over Erbil, while officials have repeatedly called for stronger air-defense and counter-drone capabilities to protect government institutions and critical infrastructure.

Jordan's response places the attack within a broader regional concern over violations of Iraqi territory and the risk that Iraq could become an arena for conflicts involving neighboring and regional powers.

Amman's statement also underscores its stated policy of supporting Iraq's territorial integrity while maintaining close political ties with Baghdad and the Kurdistan Region.

The Kurdistan Region authorities have not reported further casualties or provided a full assessment of damage from Monday's attack. Investigations into the incident remain ongoing.