EU Calls Drone Attacks on KRG Leadership 'Unacceptable'
EU says attacks on KRG leadership facilities violate Iraqi sovereignty and threaten regional stability, urging restraint and compliance with UN Security Council Resolution 2817.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - The European Union has condemned drone attacks targeting Kurdistan Regional Government leadership facilities in Erbil, calling them an unacceptable violation of Iraqi sovereignty and warning that they further threaten regional security.
In remarks to Kurdistan24's Jalil Abdulrahim on Tuesday, an EU spokesperson said the bloc "condemns the drone attacks against the KRG leadership facilities in Erbil, which must stop immediately."
The EU said the attacks come at an especially sensitive moment, warning that they add to instability in an already tense regional environment.
"They are an unacceptable violation of Iraqi sovereignty and further threat regional security and stability in an already tense regional context," the spokesperson said.
The bloc said it was closely monitoring developments and called on all parties to exercise "maximum restraint." It also urged all actors across the region to fully comply with UN Security Council Resolution 2817.
The EU statement followed an overnight attack in Erbil province in which two explosive-laden drones targeted the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Kurdistan Region's Protection Agency, Parastin.
The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said the drones were launched at 12:28 a.m. Monday from across the Iranian border and identified them as Hadid-110-type explosive drones. No casualties were reported.
Prime Minister Barzani said Monday that an investigation by Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism had determined that his personal office and the home of the head of the Kurdistan Region's Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted by Iranian drones.
"I condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms," Barzani said in a post on X, describing the incident as "a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."
He added that the attacks would not deter the Kurdistan Regional Government from carrying out its duties or protecting citizens.
The Counter-Terrorism Directorate also condemned the attacks, calling them "completely unacceptable" and saying those responsible would bear full responsibility for their consequences.
The EU's condemnation adds to growing international concern over attacks targeting the Kurdistan Region amid wider regional tensions. Recent drone incidents have repeatedly raised concerns over the vulnerability of Erbil's airspace and the protection of government, security and critical infrastructure.
By explicitly linking the attacks to Iraqi sovereignty and regional stability, the EU signaled that the issue extends beyond the immediate security of the Kurdistan Region and has implications for Iraq's territorial integrity and the wider regional security environment.