IRGC Says Iran Prepared to Counter US ‘Economic War’
Mohebi added that economic pressure was not new for Iran, saying the United States had waged economic warfare against Tehran for 47 years and imposed sanctions on various sectors of the Iranian economy.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) – Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Sunday that it is prepared to respond to any hostile move by the United States, describing Washington’s latest economic pressure as an “economic war.”
Speaking at a press conference in Karaj on Sunday, IRGC spokesperson Hossein Mohebi said the force had prepared scenarios for every potential hostile action.
“We have a scenario for every hostile move by the enemy, and economic war is one of those hostile moves,” Mohebi said.
He said Tehran had specific plans to mitigate the effects of economic pressure and was not concerned about Washington’s measures because Iran could expand economic ties with other countries.
According to Iran’s Tasnim News Agency, Mohebi also described the US economic campaign as an indirect acknowledgment of what he characterized as Washington’s military defeat.
“If they had been successful militarily, they would not have needed to resort to economic war,” he said.
Mohebi added that economic pressure was not new for Iran, saying the United States had waged economic warfare against Tehran for 47 years and imposed sanctions on various sectors of the Iranian economy.
Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi rejected the threat of new US sanctions on Sunday, calling it a sign of desperation and saying Washington’s measures would not force Tehran to surrender.
The remarks came after US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent threatened to impose the toughest sanctions in history against Iran. Bessent is expected to provide further details at a press conference on Monday. US President Donald Trump has also warned countries against providing significant support to Tehran.
Iran’s economy is facing mounting pressure from international and US sanctions, while its infrastructure has sustained damage since the United States and Israel launched strikes against Iran on February 28.
Despite the economic and military pressure, Tehran has maintained a defiant stance nearly six months into the conflict.
The war has also severely disrupted maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic waterway vital to global oil exports, with Iran preventing oil tankers from passing through the strait.