Kurdistan Prime Minister Says Iranian Drones Targeted His Private Office
Prime Minister Masrour Barzani says two explosive drones launched from Iran targeted his private office and the Parastin chief’s residence in Pirmam.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said Monday that Iranian drones targeted his private office in the Pirmam district of Erbil, describing the attack as a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the Region's security and stability.
Prime Minister Barzani said in a post on X that the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate's investigation had concluded that his personal office and the home of the head of the Kurdistan Region's Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted.
"Following an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Unit, my personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drone attacks earlier today," Prime Minister Barzani wrote.
He condemned the attacks as "reckless and unacceptable," saying they would not deter the Kurdistan Regional Government from carrying out its responsibilities or protecting residents.
Following an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Unit, my personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drone attacks earlier today.
— Masrour Barzani (@masrourbarzani) August 17, 2026
I condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms.…
The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate said in a statement that two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones were launched from across the Iranian border at about 12:28 a.m. Monday and targeted the Prime Minister's private office and the residence of the director of the Parastin Agency in Pirmam, in Erbil province.
No casualties were reported, according to the directorate.
The security agency condemned what it called "these attacks and aggressions" and said those responsible would bear full responsibility for the consequences.
The attack comes amid heightened regional tensions and a series of drone and missile incidents affecting the Kurdistan Region. Authorities in Erbil have repeatedly warned that attacks on its territory threaten both civilian security and the Region's economic and energy infrastructure.
Monday's incident is particularly significant because the reported targets included the private office of the Kurdistan Region's prime minister and the residence of a senior security official, rather than an isolated military position.
Prime Minister Barzani said the attack would not affect the government's work, stressing that the Kurdistan Region would continue its efforts to protect its population.
The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate did not report casualties or major damage in its initial statement, while investigations into the attack remain ongoing.
The incident also comes less than a week after the directorate reported that Coalition forces had intercepted three explosive drones over Erbil early Friday morning.
The repeated drone incidents have intensified concerns over the vulnerability of the Kurdistan Region's airspace amid the broader regional conflict and have increased calls for stronger air-defense and counter-drone capabilities.
For Erbil, Monday's attack marks a further escalation because of the reported origin and the senior political and security figures whose properties were targeted.