Qubad Talabani Condemns Drone Attack on Kurdistan Prime Minister's Office

Qubad Talabani says the drone strike on Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's office violates Iraqi sovereignty and disregards Kurdistan Region's peaceful position amid regional tensions.

Kurdistan Region Deputy Prime Minister Qubad Talabani. (Photo: Kurdistan24)
Kurdistan Region Deputy Prime Minister Qubad Talabani. (Photo: Kurdistan24)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Kurdistan Region Deputy Prime Minister Qubad Talabani on Monday condemned an attack targeting Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's private office, saying the incident was a dangerous violation of Iraqi sovereignty and an affront to the Kurdistan Region's stated policy of remaining outside regional conflicts.

Talabani said the Region's position since the outbreak of recent regional tensions had been "clear, direct, and peaceful," arguing that attacks against its leadership and territory demonstrated a disregard for that stance.

The comments followed an overnight drone attack in the Pirmam area of Erbil that targeted the private office of Prime Minister Barzani and the residence of the director of the Kurdistan Region's Protection (Parastin) Agency.

According to the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate, two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones were launched from across the Iranian border at about 12:28 a.m. Monday.

The drones struck the two locations in Pirmam, Erbil province, but no casualties were reported, the directorate said.

Talabani described the targeting of the prime minister's office as particularly serious because of the Kurdistan Region's conduct during the wider regional crisis.

He said the Region had maintained a peaceful position and sought to prevent its territory from becoming a platform for attacks against neighboring states.

The deputy prime minister argued that an attack under such circumstances was not only an affront to Kurdistan's political position but also a challenge to Iraq's sovereignty.

The Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate strongly condemned the incident, describing the attack as "entirely unacceptable" and warning that those responsible would bear responsibility for its consequences.

Prime Minister Barzani also said earlier Monday that an investigation had determined that Iranian drones targeted his private office as well as the home of the head of the Kurdistan Region's Security and Intelligence Agency.

In a statement posted on X, Prime Minister Barzani called the attacks "reckless and unacceptable" and said they represented "a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."

The overnight strike comes amid a series of drone and missile incidents involving the Kurdistan Region and heightened tensions across the Middle East.

Authorities in Erbil have repeatedly stressed that the Region should not be used to launch attacks against neighboring countries, while also calling on other actors to respect its territory and security.

Monday's attack, given the reported targets, raises particular concern in the Kurdistan Region over the protection of senior officials and strategic government institutions.

For Talabani, the incident underscores what he described as the consequences of disregarding Kurdistan's peaceful role at a time of intense regional instability.