Iraqi army sends more reinforcement to Makhmour

"A new batch of Iraqi army arrived at Makhmour frontlines on Monday."

 

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan24) –On Tuesday, Iraqi Defense Ministry announced the arrival of the fourth batch of the 15th Division of the Iraqi army to Makhmour frontline in preparation for the operation to liberate Mosul.

The Ministry of Defense, in a statement released on its website on Tuesday, stated that “With victories of our troops from all frontlines, a new batch of Iraqi army arrived at Makhmour frontlines on Monday as part of the Nineveh Operations Command.”

Elsewhere, Nineveh Government Nawaf Sultan, following a meeting with Mosul’s military and administrative officials at Dubardan base near Bashiq, told reporters that “three trained battalions of police will soon arrive at Makhmour.”

Last week, Islamic State (IS) extremists launched a rocket attack on an Iraqi army base along Makhmour front.

A colonel in the Iraqi army speaking to Kurdistan24 on the condition of anonymity said “Dae’sh [IS] extremists have launched an attack on the Iraqi army base near the Makhmour front lines, 50 km [31 miles] southwest of Erbil, using Katyusha rockets that killed four soldiers and wounded 23 others.”

Since last month, hundreds of forces from the army's 15th Division have been stationed at several Makhmour bases, followed by several reinforcements of which the latter arrived at Girasor base on Feb. 24.

“The total number of Iraqi soldiers in Makhmour now is nearly 5,000,” Secretary-General of Peshmerga Ministry, Jabar Yawar, told Kurdistan24 last month.

Mosul is the second largest city in Iraq and has been occupied by IS since June 2014. So far, the date of the operation is unclear, but according to Iraqi Defense Minister Khaled al-Obeidi, this will take place in the first half of 2016.

 

Reporting by Baxtiyar Goran
Editing by Ava Homa