Syrian Tomorrow Current Says Iran Aims to Destabilize Kurdistan

Ahmad al-Jarba’s Syrian Tomorrow Current condemns the drone attack on Prime Minister Masrour Barzani’s office, calling it part of a broader effort to undermine the Kurdistan Region.

The logo of Syrian Tomorrow Current, led by Ahmad al-Jarba. (Photo: Kurdistan24)
The logo of Syrian Tomorrow Current, led by Ahmad al-Jarba. (Photo: Kurdistan24)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - The Syrian Tomorrow Current, led by Ahmad al-Jarba, has condemned Monday's drone attack targeting the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani in Pirmam, describing the incident as part of what it called a systematic Iranian effort to destabilize the Kurdistan Region.

In a statement issued Monday, the group said the attack was not simply connected to tensions involving US interests, but was instead intended to undermine the Kurdistan Region's political, economic and security achievements.

"We condemn in the strongest terms the launching of Iranian drones toward the office of Mr. Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Regional Government, which took place early this morning," said Ahmad Awinan al-Jarba, leader of the Syrian Tomorrow Current.

Al-Jarba said the attacks on Pirmam and Erbil reflected a broader attempt to weaken what he described as the Kurdistan Region's "civilized model," arguing that Iran's policies were directed at preventing its development and stability.

He warned that continued attacks would ultimately damage Iran's own relations with neighboring countries and the wider international community.

The statement came hours after the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate reported that two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones had been launched from across the Iranian border at approximately 12:28 a.m. Monday.

According to the directorate, the drones targeted the headquarters of the Kurdistan Region prime minister's private office and the residence of the director of the Parastin Agency in Pirmam, Erbil province. No casualties were reported.

The security agency condemned the attack as "entirely unacceptable" and said those responsible would bear full responsibility for its consequences.

Prime Minister Masrour Barzani also said the attack had targeted his private office and the residence of the head of the Kurdistan Region's security and intelligence agency. He described the incident as "a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."

The attack is the latest in a series of drone incidents affecting Erbil amid wider regional tensions. Kurdistan Region authorities have repeatedly warned that repeated attacks threaten civilian security as well as the Region's energy infrastructure and economic activity.

The Syrian Tomorrow Current's statement places the incident within a broader regional context, arguing that pressure on the Kurdistan Region extends beyond individual military targets.

For the group, the attack represents an effort to weaken a political and economic model that has developed in the Kurdistan Region over the past decades.

The statement also warned that such actions could further isolate Tehran, saying policies based on attacks against neighboring territories risk damaging Iran's relations with countries in the region and beyond.

Monday's incident has increased concerns in Erbil over the security of senior officials and strategic sites, while authorities continue to assess the circumstances surrounding the attack and strengthen measures to protect the Kurdistan Region against further drone threats.