Barzani Office Condemns Drone Attack, Warns Against Regional Escalation

Barzani Headquarters says the attack from across the Iranian border is an attempt to destabilize the Kurdistan Region, after two explosive drones targeted Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's office.

The Barzani Headquarters logo. (Photo: Kurdistan24)
The Barzani Headquarters logo. (Photo: Kurdistan24)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - The Barzani Headquarters on Monday condemned a drone attack targeting the Kurdistan Region Prime Minister's private office and the residence of the director of the Protection (Parastin) Agency in Erbil's Pirmam district, warning that missiles and drones cannot resolve regional disputes.

In a statement, the headquarters described the attack as an attempt to destabilize the Kurdistan Region and stressed that the Region has not been a party to the broader wars and tensions affecting the Middle East.

"We very strongly condemn the drone attack carried out early Monday morning, August 17, 2026, from across the Iranian border against the Prime Minister's office and the residence of the Protection Agency Director in Pirmam," the statement said.

"The Kurdistan Region has never been part of the wars and tensions in the region," it added. "These unjustified attacks, which cannot be excused on any grounds, are an attempt to destabilize the Kurdistan Region. Rest assured, the use of drones and missiles will not solve any problems."

The statement came after the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate reported that two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones had been launched from across the Iranian border at approximately 12:28 a.m. Monday.

According to the directorate, the drones targeted the private headquarters of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Parastin Agency in Pirmam, Erbil Province. No casualties were reported.

The Counter-Terrorism Directorate condemned the attack as "entirely unacceptable' and said those responsible would bear full responsibility for its consequences.

The attack was also condemned by Prime Minister Masrour Barzani, who said an investigation by Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism had determined that his office and the home of the security agency chief had been targeted by Iranian drones.

Prime Minister Barzani described the incident as a "dangerous escalation" and a direct threat to the Kurdistan Region's security and stability. He said the attacks would not deter the regional government from carrying out its duties or protecting citizens.

Monday's incident comes amid a series of drone and missile attacks affecting the Kurdistan Region, as regional tensions have increasingly spilled into Iraqi and Kurdish airspace.

The targeting of the prime minister's private office and the residence of a senior security official represents a particularly sensitive development, raising concerns over the security of the Region's political and security leadership.

The Barzani Headquarters nevertheless framed the attack within the Kurdistan Region's longstanding position that its territory should not be used to threaten neighboring states, while maintaining that the Region itself should not be drawn into regional conflicts.

The latest incident is likely to add pressure on Baghdad and Erbil to strengthen air-defense and counter-drone capabilities and to address the security risks posed by attacks launched from beyond the Region's borders.