KDP Lawmakers Condemn Drone Attack as Violation of Kurdistan Sovereignty

KDP lawmakers urge Baghdad to take political, diplomatic and legal action after two explosive drones targeted the Kurdistan Prime Minister's office and a senior security official's residence.

The Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) logo. (Photo: Kurdistan24)
The Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) logo. (Photo: Kurdistan24)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - The Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) faction in the Kurdistan Parliament has condemned an alleged Iranian drone attack targeting the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Protection Agency, calling it a serious violation of the Region's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

In a statement issued Monday, the faction said the attack was not solely directed at individual officials but represented an assault on the "land, sovereignty, and dignity" of Iraq and the Kurdistan Region.

The faction called on the Iraqi federal government to assume its "shared responsibility" for protecting the constitutional status and security of the Kurdistan Region and to take political, diplomatic and legal measures to prevent similar attacks.

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms the Iranian drone attack carried out today," the faction said, referring to the August 17 incident.

The statement described the attack as "a blatant, severe, and unjustifiable violation" of international law, the United Nations Charter and the principles of good-neighborly relations.

The KDP lawmakers also stressed that the Kurdistan Regional Government has consistently sought to maintain neutrality and avoid becoming involved in regional conflicts while advocating dialogue and peaceful solutions.

The statement followed an announcement by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate, which said two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones were launched from across the Iranian border at approximately 12:28 a.m. Monday.

According to the directorate, the drones targeted the Kurdistan Region prime minister's private office and the residence of the director of the Parastin Agency in the Pirmam area of Erbil province.

No casualties were reported.

The counter-terrorism agency condemned the incident and said those responsible would bear full responsibility for the consequences.

Prime Minister Masrour Barzani separately said the attack followed an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate and identified Iran as the source of the drones.

In a statement posted on X, Prime Minister Barzani said his office and the residence of the security agency chief had been targeted by "Iranian drone attacks," describing them as "a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region."

He said the attacks would not deter the Kurdistan Regional Government from carrying out its duties or protecting citizens.

The KDP parliamentary faction said Monday's incident was not the first attack against institutions and officials in the Kurdistan Region, noting that regional leaders had repeatedly warned that such actions were unacceptable and contrary to the principles of good-neighborly relations.

It reiterated that the Region would continue promoting peace and dialogue while defending its territory and institutions.

The attack comes amid heightened regional tensions and a series of drone incidents affecting the Kurdistan Region in recent weeks.

For Erbil, the targeting of the prime minister's private office and a senior security official's residence marks a significant escalation, while the KDP faction’s appeal places renewed pressure on Baghdad to respond to attacks launched against the Region from outside Iraqi territory.