EU Condemns Drone Attacks on PM Barzani’s Office and Kurdistan Region’s Security Chief’s Residence

In a letter addressed to Prime Minister Barzani on Monday, EU Ambassador to Iraq Klemens Semtner said the European Union and its member states were relieved that no casualties had been reported in the attacks.

The flag of the European Union. (Photo: Getty Images)
The flag of the European Union. (Photo: Getty Images)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) — The European Union Delegation to Iraq and the embassies of EU member states have strongly condemned the drone attacks targeting the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the home of the head of the Kurdistan Region’s Security and Intelligence Agency (Parastin) in Pirmam.

In a letter addressed to Prime Minister Barzani on Monday, EU Ambassador to Iraq Klemens Semtner said the European Union and its member states were relieved that no casualties had been reported in the attacks.

“These attacks aim at undermining efforts” by the Iraqi and Kurdistan Regional governments to keep Iraq out of regional conflicts and pursue peaceful solutions through diplomatic initiatives, the letter said.

The EU described it as “unacceptable” to target state institutions, officials, or diplomatic missions, reaffirming its support for Iraq, including the Kurdistan Region, in its efforts toward a peaceful and prosperous future.

The EU also said that bringing all arms under state control would contribute to these efforts.

Earlier on Monday, the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS) said that two Iranian-made Hadid-110 explosive drones had targeted Prime Minister Barzani’s private office and the home of the head of the Kurdistan Region’s Security and Intelligence Agency in Pirmam.

No casualties were reported, while investigations into the extent of the damage were ongoing.