Iraqi FM Seeks Official Iranian Explanation Over Attack on PM Barzani’s Office

Hussein called on Tehran to provide an official explanation for the attack and warned of its potential negative consequences for Iraq’s security.

Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein (right) and Iranian Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi. (Photo: Designed by Kurdistan24)
Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein (right) and Iranian Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi. (Photo: Designed by Kurdistan24)

ERBIL (Kurdistan24) — Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein held a phone call with his Iranian counterpart, Abbas Araghchi, on Monday to discuss the drone attack targeting the office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani in Erbil's Pirmam district. 

During the conversation, Hussein told Araghchi that Iran had previously justified attacks by citing the presence of Iranian opposition groups in the Kurdistan Region. However, he said the latest incident, which directly targeted the Kurdistan Region prime minister’s office, represented a dangerous development that could escalate tensions and threaten regional stability.

Hussein called on Tehran to provide an official explanation for the attack and warned of its potential negative consequences for Iraq’s security.

Araghchi, in response, expressed surprise over the incident and said he had no information indicating that the attack originated from Iranian territory.

He also stressed that, given Iran’s strong relations with the Kurdistan Region, particularly with its two main political parties, there was no justification for such an attack.

At the end of the call, Hussein urged Iran to issue an official statement on the incident and identify those responsible.

Araghchi rejected any action that could contribute to instability or undermine regional security and pledged to issue an official statement clarifying Tehran’s position.

Earlier on Monday, the Kurdistan Region Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS) said two Iranian-made Hadid-110 explosive drones targeted Barzani’s private office and the home of the head of the Kurdistan Region’s Security and Intelligence Agency (Parastin).

No casualties were reported, while investigations into the extent of the damage were ongoing.