Iran bans Clash of Clans video game
Players of the popular mobile game Clash of Clans reported disruptions in the server on Wednesday shortly before Iranian officials banned the video game in the country.
TEHRAN, Iran (Kurdistan24) — Players of the popular mobile game Clash of Clans reported disruptions in the server on Wednesday shortly before Iranian officials banned the video game in the country.
Iranian officials believe the game promotes violence and tribal war among teenagers.
They also point to the danger of adolescent’s becoming “addicted” to the game.
Iran’s deputy attorney general Dr. Abdolsamad Khoramabadi said the “vast majority” of the committee believed there should be a limitation on who plays the game.
Iran ruthlessly polices cyberspace, and this is not the first instance the country banned a popular game.
In August, the highly popular game Pokemon Go was also outlawed in the country.
Authorities said they were concerned by the “location” requirements of the game, without offering further details.
However, some Iranians say they are often able to find ways around the filtering of various websites and video games.
Clash of Clans was created by Supercell, a Finnish firm, and has been a massive hit all over the world.
Throughout the game, players build villages, train troops, and battle with thousands of others to protect or attack other users’ settlements.
Earlier this year, Supercell announced 100 million people were playing its games every day.
In July, the Chinese firm Tencent bought 84.3 percent of Supercell in a deal that valued the company at USD $10.2 billion.
Currently, the top-grossing app on Google’s Play Store, and the third-highest on Apple’s App Store, Clash of Clans raked in a combined $210 million in November, according to research by SuperData.
Editing by Karzan Sulaivany