Civilian cooperation aids Mosul advance: Iraqi General

An Iraqi commander on Wednesday said security forces had retaken nearly 70 percent of eastern Mosul from the Islamic State (IS).

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan24) – An Iraqi commander on Wednesday said security forces had retaken nearly 70 percent of eastern Mosul from the Islamic State (IS).

Lieutenant General Talib Shaghati told Reuters the Iraqi forces’ advance was aided by the cooperation from the city’s civilians.

Shaghati explained the large number of civilians in the city prevented security forces from using heavy artillery against IS extremists, but some civilians helped them locate the militants.

“They gave us information about the location of the terrorists, their movements, and weapons that have helped us pursue them, arrest some, and kill others,” he said.

Most civilians usually avoid giving information to the security forces for fear of retaliation from IS insurgents, according to Shaghati.

Since the security forces renewed their offensive to retake the city, several more districts had been freed from insurgent control.

“Roughly 65-70 percent of the eastern side has been liberated,” Shaghati revealed.

“I think in the coming few days we will see the full liberation of the eastern side,” the General added.

According to Shaghati, the western part of Mosul “remains under full control” of IS, the group’s largest stronghold.

However, the commander noted the better coordination between the US-led coalition and Iraqi forces improved the troops’ advance.

The commander remained optimistic of IS’ defeat, adding the coalition’s air support and advisory of Iraqi ground forces was “outstanding.”

“[IS] devised many plans to obstruct and block us but they failed,” he stated.

“We were able to surpass them, and these areas were liberated with high speed,” Shaghati concluded.

 

Editing by Ava Homa