Evidence of abuse, human rights violation targeting Kurds in Tuz Khurmatu: Amnesty report

A damning report released on Tuesday outlined how Kurdish areas in the multi-ethnic city of Tuz Khurmatu were targeted during the Iraqi forces and the Iranian-backed Shia Hashd al-Shaabi militia’s offensive on the province and city of Kirkuk on October 16.

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan 24) – Iraqi government forces, as well as members of the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), Turkmen fighters, and Turkmen civilians robbed, set fire and destroyed houses in Kurdish neighborhoods in Tuz Khurmatu, according to an Amnesty International report.

A damning report released on Tuesday outlined how Kurdish areas in the multi-ethnic city of Tuz Khurmatu were targeted during the Iraqi forces and the Iranian-backed Shia Hashd al-Shaabi militia’s offensive on the province and city of Kirkuk on October 16. Tens of thousands of Kurdish civilians fled as a result of the incursion and due to fears of abuses and repercussions at the hands of Shia militias.

“Within hours the lives of countless men, women, and children were devastated in Tuz Khurmatu. Thousands have lost their homes, shops and everything they owned. They are now scattered in nearby camps, villages and cities, wondering whether they will ever be able to return,” said Lynn Maalouf, Director of Research for the Middle East at Amnesty International.

Using footage, pictures, and satellite imagery of the town, Amnesty was able to confirm with the testimony of residents that Kurds were particularly targeted in the overnight attack led by Iraqi forces and the Shia militia on the disputed territory.

“Residents reported that at least 11 civilians were killed by indiscriminate attacks, while hundreds of properties were looted, set on fire and destroyed in what appears to be a targeted attack on predominantly Kurdish areas of the city,” read the report.

Witnesses also described how Kurdish residents fleeing the city were targeted by shelling despite there being no military installations nearby.  The United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) confirmed that 35,000 civilians have fled the 100,000-strong town of Tuz Khurmatu since Oct. 16, with very few of them expecting to go back.

“I will never go back until we have guarantees for our safety. They even burn our mosques - how can we be safe there?” said one camp resident.    

On Oct. 16, Iranian-backed Shia Hashd al-Shaabi forces helped Baghdad take control of Kirkuk and other disputed territories.

Since then, the Hashd al-Shaabi, also known as the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), along with Iraqi troops continued to advance toward Pirde, with clashes erupting on Friday in the multi-ethnic town some 40 kilometers south of the Kurdish capital of Erbil.

The PMF and Iraqi forces' incursions on the disputed territories have led to the displacement of close to 170,000 civilians in the Kurdistan Region.