Iraq's Siyada Coalition Condemns Drone Attack on Kurdistan Prime Minister's Office
Khamis al-Khanjar calls the attack a dangerous escalation, while the Siyada Coalition says targeting Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's office was an act of terrorism.
ERBIL (Kurdistan24) - Iraqi political forces have condemned an early Monday drone attack targeting the private office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the Protection Agency, calling the incident a serious threat to Iraq's sovereignty and stability.
Khamis al-Khanjar, a prominent Iraqi political figure, described the attack as an "extremely dangerous development" and said protecting the Kurdistan Region was an Iraqi and national responsibility.
"The security of the Kurdistan Region is an integral part of the security of Iraq," al-Khanjar said in a statement, calling on Baghdad and the international community to take responsibility for stopping what he described as repeated Iranian attacks against the Kurdistan Region and neighboring states.
Al-Khanjar said targeting the offices and residences of senior officials directly threatened Iraqi state institutions and leaders. He urged an end to drone and missile attacks being used, in his words, as instruments of "political sabotage and regional destabilization."
The Siyada (Sovereignty) Coalition, led by Sarmad Khanjar, also condemned the attack, describing it as an "act of terrorism" and a direct attack on the state.
"The coalition considers this attack an act of terrorism and a blatant targeting of the state," the statement said, adding that the incident represented "an alarming escalation and an unacceptable assault on Iraq's security and the safety of its institutions."
The coalition called on the federal government and security authorities to investigate the attack and take measures to prevent similar incidents, warning that such attacks could further complicate Iraq's political and security situation and endanger civilians.
The statements followed an announcement by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Directorate that two explosive-laden Hadid-110 drones had been launched from across the Iranian border at approximately 12:28 a.m. Monday.
According to the directorate, the drones targeted the Prime Minister's private office and the residence of the director of the Protection (Parastin) Agency in the Pirmam area of Erbil province. No casualties were reported.
The directorate condemned the attack in the strongest terms and said those responsible would bear full responsibility for its consequences.
The incident comes amid heightened regional tensions and repeated drone and missile attacks affecting the Kurdistan Region. Erbil has previously called for stronger air-defense and counter-drone capabilities to protect civilian areas and critical infrastructure.
For Baghdad, the latest attack also presents a broader sovereignty challenge. Iraqi authorities have repeatedly pledged that the country's territory should not be used to threaten neighboring states, while Kurdish officials have maintained that the Kurdistan Region should not become a target because of wider regional conflicts.
Al-Khanjar's call for a "firm Iraqi and international stance" underscores growing pressure on Baghdad to ensure that attacks against the Kurdistan Region are treated as attacks on Iraq's broader security rather than as an isolated regional issue.