ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – The United Nations strongly condemned three explosions that took place in Iraq's oil-rich province of Kirkuk on Friday that resulted in one death and over a dozen wounded.
“This is yet another cowardly attack on innocent civilians as they went about their normal Ramadan business,” Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Iraq Ján Kubiš said in a statement on Saturday.
The envoy continued, “My heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives and my wishes go to the injured for a speedy recovery.”
According to a security statement, the first explosion took place near a mosque on Quds Street in central Kirkuk, killing a woman and wounding 14 other people, among them women and children.
The second blast occurred near a café, also in the center of the city, injuring one civilian.
The third explosion was the result of a rocket being fired at a school in Musalla district, the statement added, but said no casualties were reported.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for either of the three attacks.
Security has deteriorated considerably in the province of Kirkuk since its attack and takeover in October by Iraqi forces and Shia militias, which pushed Kurdish Peshmerga from disputed territories that had been under their control since 2014.
The situation has become more tenuous still following the May 12 national elections. Factions in Kirkuk, namely Turkmen and Arab parties, have made multiple claims of election fraud against rivals.
On Wednesday, an explosion at a mosque in Baghdad's Sadr City neighborhood left 18 dead and more than 90 wounded.
Editing by John J. Catherine