ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – At least nine people were hospitalized after a chemical leak at an oil field in Duhok poisoned the air, medical sources stated on Monday.
The gas leak occurred late Sunday night at the Chamanke oilfield in Duhok, a source told Kurdistan 24.
Medical sources said seven of those affected by the leak were children who were rushed to a nearby hospital.
Sources noted, however, that all those poisoned by the chemical leak were in stable condition and could be discharged at any moment.
The director of the Duhok Health Department, Nizar Esmat, told reporters the victims suffered from CO2 poisoning due to a carbon dioxide leak emanating from the field.
CO2 poisoning is rarely lethal but includes disorientation, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, and shortness of breath.
Esmat added that local authorities would take the necessary measures to protect communities living near drilling and exploration sites in the province, noting they would work with the Chamanke oilfield company to prevent such incidents from reoccurring.
The cause of the leak has not yet been made public.
(Masoud Mohammed contributed to this report)